Moving home is a busy time, however by following the useful advice below you can reduce the stress during and leading up to your move.
Before your move day
- Book your removal company and ensure you have a written quotation with terms and conditions. Be sure that your chosen removers can assist you with all your requirements such as storage and packing
- Declutter and donate any unwanted items to your local charity
- Acquire a good collection of suitable packing materials including boxes and bubble-wrap
- Start packing early, Begin with unused rooms and do not forget to include garages, sheds, lofts etc
- Create a document box for such items as passports and paperwork
- Prepare an essentials box including first aid kit, children's favourite toy etc
- Find a pet sitter for the day as moving home can be traumatic for your pets
- Notify your GP, Insurers, Bank, DVLA etc of your new address and date of move
- Save some space in your car for items such as paint, fuel and other flammables as most removal companies will not be insured to take these
On your move day
- Dismantle and disconnect furniture and appliances unless you have agreed for your removal company to include this
- Strip beds and pack bedding ready for beds to be transported
- Take final meter readings and provide to utility companies
- Collect keys from property agents if not already done
- Ensure your phone is fully charged as this will be needed throughout the day
- Save a parking space for your removal company's vehicle
- Complete a final check of your property ensuring nothing is left behind and all doors and windows are secured
- And finally keep the kettle and teabags at hand!
Should you choose to pack your own belongings, remember the following:
- Make good use of suitcases and bags to pack clothes in
- There is no need to empty clothes in drawers as these can be transported full. We do ask that books and breakables are removed from units though
- Clearly mark boxes with which room they are for
- Do not over pack boxes with heavy items as these can break during transit
- Keep a handy collection of tools available just in case
- Ensure water is drained from kettles, coffee machines and fridge/freezers are de-frosted
- Use plenty of bubble-wrap for fragile item
Remember that good removal companies should be more than just turning up on your move day. Empire Removals SW are always on hand to assist with any queries or offer any advice so contact us today and we will be ready to help.
If you have not already booked your removal company and your move is upcoming then do not worry. Good removal companies will be able to plan and implement at short notice. Contact Empire Removals SW today and we will work hard to meet your requirements.
We are able to provide a supply of standard recycled packing boxes and tape free of charge when using our removal service. We also offer a number of packing materials for a small additional cost should you require them and we would be happy to deliver to your address prior to your move date.
Choosing the right removal company
Price should not be the only factor when choosing your removal company. Be sure that your removers are fully insured and that their quoted price is not subject to hidden extra fees. Do they use protective blankets to protect your belongings? Check for reviews online and finally make sure that they have visited before quoting to ensure an accurate price is quoted.